Senior Support Worker - Koori Women's Place
Djirra supports Aboriginal women’s journey to safety and wellbeing, and provides legal and practical supports to Aboriginal people experiencing family violence across Victoria. Djirra is an Aboriginal Community Controlled Organisation with a rich history. Djirra is growing its support services for Aboriginal women across Victoria
The Koori Women’s Place is an exciting program of Djirra and an extension of our work and commitment to supporting Aboriginal women’s safety and wellbeing.
Key Responsibilities include:
- maintain supportive relationships with Aboriginal women
- providing personalised support to Aboriginal women who are facing family violence issues
- provide assistance and guidance in relation to appropriate services that are available (e.g. Centrelink, Medicare, Education etc) and attend meetings where appropriate
- coordinate culturally and socially framed events and workshops
- develop and maintain positive relationships with partners, stakeholders and service providers to strengthen their cultural sensitivity in order to offer improved services to Aboriginal women
- general administrative duties.
WE'RE LOOKING FOR SOMEONE WHO:
- Has demonstrated knowledge and understanding of Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander societies and cultures and the issues affecting these societies, including family violence, sexual assault, family law and care and protection of children as well as the underlying contributing factors.
- Has demonstrated high level of initiative, integrity, tact, and discretion in dealing with sensitive and confidential matters.
- Has the ability to effectively communicate and work with local Aboriginal communities and has knowledge of social justice issues within Aboriginal communities
- Has the demonstrated capacity to communicate emphatically and effectively with Aboriginal people and/or others who have experienced trauma
At Djirra we look for people who get on well with others, and most importantly, have an understanding of Aboriginal culture and values. We are looking for someone who can bring with them their networking, liaising and community outreach experience. This position is full time and fixed term to 30th June 2019 at this stage. Candidates with the relevant skill set and wanting to work part time will be considered.
- Conveniently located near public transport, ample parking and nearby some great coffee shops, cafes and restaurants.
- Cultural Awareness training and ongoing support provided by our dedicated full-time Cultural Advisor.
- Access to a monthly RDO (Rostered Day Off), Christmas leave, Cultural leave, paid Parental leave and annual leave loading.
- Generous salary packaging options available.
- An opportunity to participate in our community engagement activities.
How to Apply
To find out more about the position and how to apply, refer to our Get Involved page on our website www.djirra.org.au Only applications received via the website will be considered. Applications must include a CV and covering letter and must answer the short questions at the bottom of the application form.
If you would like to know more about the role or about the work we do, please call Teresa Kyprianou, Human Resources Advisor on 9244 3333 or via email [email protected]
Applications for this position will close upon appointment of the successful candidate.